8/6/09

Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe


Ok, so I know I have been MIA for a while...had to take a break to finish school (got my RN) and land a job. Now that I have some more time to devote to this blog ~ I have chosen one of my favorite comfort foods. Pasta. I was seriously in the mood for garlic tonight and this dish is loaded with it. I love the contrast between the bitter broccoli rabe and the sweetness in the sausage.


5 T. olive oil
5-6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 lb rigatoni pasta
salt/pepper to taste
2 bunches broccoli, cut into large florets (discard stems)
1 lb sweet italian sausage
1/4 cup white wine
parmesan cheese

Bring pot of water to a boil for pasta. Cook according to directions. In the last five minutes throw in the broccoli and let cook with pasta. Reserve 1 cup cooking liquid for sauce. Drain.

In a frying pan, heat 1 tbl olive oil and saute garlic slices until slightly brown and crispy along with pepper flakes. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Transfer garlic to seperate bowl and set aside. Take sausage and squeeze the meat out of the casings to get crumbled sausage. Brown in pan with remaining oil. Once sausage is brown, add the 1 cup reserved water, 1/4 cup wine and reserved garlic with oil. Let come to a simmer for about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Toss sausage and sauce with pasta and broccoli. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Serve.

As a general rule, whenever I cook pasta I use the largest pot I can find and season it well with salt. This ensures that your pasta will taste great.

No comments:

Post a Comment