6/1/09

Steak Pizziaola


This recipe reminds me of my childhood. I can remember walking into grandma's house and smell this cooking. I used to love to sneak a piece of bread and dip it into the pot to try and get some of the topping (my favorite part). I know this isn't a typical steak recipe, but it's a traditional italian way to cook steak, that doesn't involve lighting the grill. The key to making a juicy wonderful steak is the cut of meat.....believe me, I've tried this so many ways and with different meats and sirloin is by far the best to use. You can also try this with pork, if you don't eat red meat.


2 sirloin steaks
1 cup whole canned tomatoes
4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
1 T. red pepper flakes
salt/pepper
parsely
oregano
2-3 T. olive oil
handful grated parmesan cheese

Put enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a deep frying pan. Place half of the tomatoes on the bottom of the pan, break the tomatoes with your hands as you add them to the pan, so they stay in big chuncks, but the juice gets into the pan. Place the steaks on top of tomatoes, and top with remaining tomatoes, (again, breaking up with hands), garlic, and pepper flakes. Season generously with parsely, oregano, salt and pepper. (I'm sorry I don't have exact measurements for the herbs, but i just eyeball it) Top with heaping handful of grated parmesan. Cover and turn of high for 1-2 minutes, then drop heat down to low and simmer until steak is tender, about 1 hour. It is very important to cook this low and slow or you will end up with tough chewy meat. Not good.



No comments:

Post a Comment